Chocolate marshmallow cookies are a delicious and fun treat that brings together the rich taste of chocolate and the sweet, gooey texture of marshmallows. These cookies are perfect for anyone who loves a combination of different textures and flavors in their desserts. The process of making them is relatively straightforward and can be a great activity for both beginners and experienced bakers.
To start, you prepare a chocolate cookie dough, which usually includes basic ingredients like butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract for richness and flavor. Flour, cocoa powder, and leavening agents like baking soda are added to give the cookie its structure and chocolatey taste. The dough is then shaped into small portions and baked until just set.
The unique twist comes after the initial baking. Each cookie gets topped with a half of a marshmallow. This is where the magic happens – the marshmallow melts slightly and becomes wonderfully gooey. Some recipes also call for a final touch of chocolate frosting, made with butter, cocoa, milk, and powdered sugar, spread over the cooled cookies for an extra layer of chocolate indulgence.
You can customize these cookies in various ways. For example, you can add chocolate chips to the dough for more chocolate flavor, or decorate the cookies with nuts or crushed candies for festive occasions.
Once baked, the cookies are best enjoyed fresh but can also be stored in an airtight container for a few days. They can even be frozen, either as dough balls or as fully baked cookies, for later enjoyment.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW COOKIES
These chocolate marshmallow cookies are a fantastic treat for several reasons, making them a must-try for anyone who loves a quick and delicious dessert.
- Quick and Easy to Make: One of the best things about these cookies is that they only take about 25 minutes to prepare and bake. This makes them an excellent choice for when you’re in a hurry or have a sudden craving for something sweet. Plus, there’s no need to chill the dough, so you can go from mixing to munching in no time!
- Delightful Roasted Marshmallow Flavor: By topping the cookies with extra mini marshmallows just before baking, you’ll capture that delightful taste of roasted marshmallows. This adds a fun and tasty twist to the traditional chocolate cookie, providing a gooey and sweet flavor that’s hard to resist.
- Rich Chocolate Experience: These cookies offer a double dose of chocolate goodness. They’re made with cocoa powder, which gives them a deep chocolate flavor, and chocolate chips, which add an extra layer of chocolatey richness. This combination ensures every bite is a chocolate lover’s dream.
- Uses Simple Pantry Ingredients: Another great aspect of this recipe is that it uses ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen. This convenience means you can often whip up these cookies without a special trip to the grocery store.
- Flexibility for Dietary Needs: For those who follow a vegan or dairy-free diet, this recipe can be easily adapted to suit your needs. This flexibility allows almost everyone to enjoy these delicious cookies regardless of their dietary restrictions.
All You Need:
To make delicious chocolate marshmallow cookies, you’ll need a few key ingredients and follow some easy steps. Here’s a simplified guide to help you along:
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour: This is your cookie’s base. If you’re gluten-sensitive, no worries! Just swap it with an equal amount of gluten-free all-purpose 1-1 baking flour.
- Butter: You can use regular butter or opt for a vegan alternative.
- Cocoa Powder: Go for unsweetened cocoa powder to get that rich chocolate flavor.
- Mini Marshmallows: Don’t have mini marshmallows? Simply chop up the regular-sized ones.
- Chocolate Chips: If you’re aiming for dairy-free cookies, choose vegan chocolate chips. You can also use chopped chocolate bars or white chocolate chips. If you don’t have or don’t want chocolate chips, feel free to leave them out.
- Prepare for Baking: Start by preheating your oven to 350°Fahrenheit and lining two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the butter and sugars until they’re light and fluffy. Then, add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: Add flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder to the mix, stirring until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
- Shape the Cookies: Take about 2 tablespoons of dough, roll it into a ball, and place it on your prepared baking sheet. Space the cookies about 3 inches apart. For that extra special touch, press a few more mini marshmallows and chocolate chips on top of each dough ball.
- Bake and Enjoy: Bake each tray for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should have set edges and slightly toasted marshmallows on top. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storing Your Cookies
- Keep Them Fresh: After you’ve enjoyed making and eating some of these yummy cookies, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container. This will keep them fresh and tasty for up to 4 to 5 days.
- A Tip for Storage: Make sure your cookies have cooled down completely before you put them in the container. This helps to keep them nice and chewy.
Freezing the Cookie Dough
- Freeze for Later Fun: If you made too much dough or want to bake cookies another day, you can freeze the dough. Simply roll your cookie dough into balls, just like you would if you were going to bake them right away. Place these dough balls on a baking sheet.
- Freezing Steps: Pop the baking sheet with the dough balls into the freezer. Wait until they are completely frozen, which usually takes a few hours. Then, move the frozen dough balls into a freezer-safe container or a Ziploc bag.
- Ready to Bake: When you’re in the mood for fresh cookies, take out the amount you want to bake and follow the usual baking instructions. No need to thaw them first – you can bake them straight from the freezer!
Freezing Baked Cookies
- Save Some for Later: Already baked a bunch of cookies but can’t eat them all? You can freeze the baked cookies too!
- How to Freeze Baked Cookies: Once your cookies have cooled down after baking, place them in a Ziploc freezer bag.
- Enjoy Them Anytime: When you’re ready to eat them, just take out as many as you want. Let them thaw at room temperature, and they’ll be ready to enjoy like they’re freshly baked!
Complete Recipe For Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
This recipe is perfect for a quick, chocolatey treat that’s both delicious and easy to make. Enjoy your baking and the delightful cookies that result! 🍪🌟
- Total Time: You’ll spend about 18 minutes from start to finish.
- Prep Time: Just 10 minutes to get everything ready.
- Baking Time: It takes about 8 minutes to bake each batch.
What You’re Making
- Course: This is a dessert recipe.
- Cuisine: The style is American.
- Servings: You’ll end up with about 16 cookies.
- Calories: Each cookie has approximately 167 calories.
- Baking Sheets: Essential for baking the cookies.
- Butter: Use ½ cup, and it can be regular or vegan.
- Sugars: You’ll need ¾ cup of light brown sugar and ¼ cup of granulated sugar.
- Egg: Just one egg is required.
- Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons for that lovely vanilla flavor.
- Flour: 1¼ cup of all-purpose flour.
- Cocoa Powder: Use ⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder for the chocolate flavor.
- Leaveners and Salt: ½ teaspoon each of salt and baking soda.
- Marshmallows: ¾ cup of mini marshmallows, plus some extra for topping.
- Chocolate Chips: ⅓-½ cup of semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Choose regular or vegan, as per your preference.
- Prepare for Baking: Start by preheating your oven to 350°F and lining your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy, then add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder to the mix, followed by the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Form the Cookies: Roll the dough into balls and place them on the baking sheet, pressing extra marshmallows and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake and Cool: Bake each tray for 8-10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Weigh Your Ingredients: For accuracy, it’s best to use a kitchen scale for the dry ingredients.
- Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container for 4-5 days or freeze the dough or baked cookies for later use.
Each cookie roughly contains:
- Calories: 167 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Potassium: 79 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 16 g