Are you on the hunt for the ultimate side dish to complement your meal? Look no further! These sensational roasted garlic potatoes with parmesan are a feast for the senses. They emerge from the oven crispy and golden on the outside, while staying irresistibly fluffy on the inside. The baby red potatoes are masterfully seasoned with a delightful blend of garlic, herbs, butter, and bacon, and then generously coated with savory Parmesan. They’re baked to perfection on a single sheet pan. The best part? This potato recipe is incredibly easy to make. Don’t wait—try it out in your next meal!
Ingredients for Roasted Garlic Potatoes
For this delectable side dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 pounds (1.5 kg) baby red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 6 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon bits (optional)
The Art of Oven-Roasted Potatoes
Roasted potatoes are the quintessential side dish: crisp on the outside, delightfully fluffy on the inside, and versatile enough to accompany virtually any main course. Whether you’re serving roast chicken or a succulent steak, roasted potatoes are a culinary match made in heaven. Get creative with your seasonings—use your favorite spices or the herbs from your garden.
Feel free to adjust the quantity of garlic to your taste. If parsley isn’t your thing, consider using fresh chopped rosemary or thyme. Dried herbs work just as well, but remember to use them sparingly to avoid overpowering the potato’s natural flavor.
To achieve the perfect roasted potatoes, preheat your oven to a scorching 400ºF (200°C). This high heat will ensure the ideal balance of a crispy exterior and a melt-in-your-mouth interior.
Mastering the Art of Roasting Potatoes
Here’s how to make these oven-roasted potatoes tossed with Parmesan—easy as pie!
- Potato Selection: Begin by selecting the right variety of potatoes. Baby red potatoes work beautifully, but you can also mix in some small Yukon golds, German butterballs, or fingerlings for added depth of flavor.
- Preheat: Preheat your oven to a piping hot 400ºF (200°C).
- Preparation: After washing the potatoes, chop them into evenly sized pieces, typically quartered or halved if they’re already small. This step is crucial to ensure uniform cooking.
- Parboiling: Parboil the potatoes in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes. This precooking step ensures that they’ll be tender on the inside when roasted.
- Seasoning Perfection: To ensure even flavor distribution, blend your seasonings with butter and freshly grated Parmesan before tossing the potatoes in this mixture.
- Spread and Roast: Transfer the seasoned potatoes to a baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until they turn beautifully browned and crisp. Remember to flip them once or twice during cooking to ensure even browning.
Ideal Temperature and Timing for Roasting Potatoes
For the crispiest results, roast your potatoes at a scorching 400°F (200°C) for 40 minutes to 1 hour, turning them a couple of times to achieve all-around crispiness. This method ensures that the garlic and Parmesan create a luscious, golden crust. If you’re short on time, roast at 350ºF (180ºC) for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Directions for Roasted Garlic Potatoes
Now, let’s dive into the simple steps to create your roasted garlic potatoes:
- Preheat: Start by preheating your oven to 400ºF (200°C). Grease a generously sized baking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil, and set it aside.
- Parboil: Parboil the baby red potatoes in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes to partially cook them, ensuring tenderness inside when roasted.
- Seasoning Magic: In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic, salt, herbs, pepper, and Parmesan cheese, mixing them into a delightful blend. Add a touch more olive oil if most of it has been absorbed by the Parmesan.
- Coating Perfection: Toss the parboiled potatoes through the garlic Parmesan mixture to coat them evenly.
- Arrangement and Roasting: Place the coated potatoes, cut side down, in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Position the sheet on the bottom rack of the oven. Roast your garlic butter Parmesan potatoes for 25 minutes, turning them after 15 minutes using tongs or a spatula, until they’re beautifully browned and crisped at the edges.
- Final Touch: While the potatoes roast, gently melt the butter in the microwave and mix it with fresh chopped parsley. Once the roasted potatoes are ready, drizzle them with the butter parsley sauce. For an extra layer of flavor, add bacon bits, toss to coat well, and serve your roasted potatoes with garlic butter Parmesan immediately. Savor the deliciousness!
Pro Tips for Perfect Roasted Potatoes
- For an extra golden touch, consider broiling the potatoes for 2-4 minutes after roasting.
- Parboiling the potatoes is optional; you can roast them for 35-40 minutes if you prefer.
- Allow the potatoes to cool briefly on the baking sheet before serving. This ensures that the Parmesan sticks to the potatoes, not the sheet.
These crispy, garlicky potatoes complement a wide range of main courses, including meat, poultry, and fish. Some fantastic options include:
- Instant Pot Pork Chops in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Oven-Baked Chicken Bites
- Tuscan Baked Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Tuscan Salmon With Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Leftover Potato Ideas
If you have any leftover roasted potatoes, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. When reheating, use the oven to ensure they stay moist. Consider covering the potatoes with foil to prevent them from drying out. Leftover roasted potatoes also make an excellent addition to potato salad or as a flavorful topping for your soups and stews. Enjoy every last bite!
|Ingredients for Roasted Garlic Potatoes||Directions for Roasted Garlic Potatoes|
|– 3 pounds (1.5 kg) baby red potatoes||1. Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200°C).|
|– 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil||2. Parboil baby red potatoes in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes to precook them.|
|– 6 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced||3. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic, salt, herbs, pepper, and Parmesan cheese together, mixing to combine. Add a little more olive oil if the Parmesan cheese has absorbed most of it.|
|– Salt and fresh cracked black pepper||4. Toss parboiled potatoes through the garlic Parmesan mixture to evenly coat.|
|– 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning||5. Arrange the coated potatoes cut side down in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake your garlic butter Parmesan potatoes for 25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes with tongs or a spatula, until potatoes are browned and crisped at the edges.|
|– 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese||6. In the meantime, gently melt butter in the microwave and combine with fresh chopped parsley. Remove the roasted potatoes from the oven, and drizzle with the butter parsley sauce. Add bacon bits, toss to coat well, and serve your roasted potatoes with garlic butter Parmesan immediately. Enjoy!|
|– 1/2 cup unsalted butter|
|– Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish|
|– 1/2 cup crispy bacon bits (optional)|
Remember to adapt the amount of garlic used based on your preference, and you can use fresh chopped rosemary or thyme instead of parsley if desired. Dried herbs can also be used sparingly.